EDIT: PROJECT ENDED: Community Bunting Project to commemorate the coronation of King Charles III
As part of Thornbury’s celebrations for the Kings Coronation, we are encouraging the community to come together, not just at our Coronation Picnic on the Mundy Playing Fields on 6th May, but also to create some community bunting with which to decorate the village, both now and for occasions long into the future..
Thornbury Town Council is asking the community to create bunting triangles, which will be joined together and used to create colourful event décor for the community.
- Simply download the free template from the link below or collect one from the Town Hall: Bunting Scheme Template
- Design and make your bunting triangle.
- Drop it off at the Town Hall, High Street, Thornbury, BS35 2AR by the end of Thursday 27th April for inclusion in the bunting for the picnic event.
You can make your flag however you choose, by maybe:
- sewing it (embroidery, applique),
- using permanent/fabric pens
- crochet or knitting a flag
- printing a digital design on to specialist fabric transfer paper
- You do not need to buy fabric; reuse some crazy old fabric – old clothes, sheets or curtains would do fine! Charity shops may also be a good place to look.
- Please make sure whatever you do, it is water/weatherproof – no paper, or water soluble paints/pen
- You may choose to make a flag, or flags, to represent an organisation or club
- If you knit or crochet your flag, please sew a strip of fabric to the top edge to assist with assembly at the end
- When using the template, remember that the dotted line represents the finished size/edge. The space between the dotted line and the red line will be used up as the seam allowance when flags are sewn together.
Finally, calling all sewers….
If you have basic sewing machine skills, we are keen to hear from anyone who would be able to help us sew up all the flags into the finished bunting during the week commencing 3 May 2023. We will have a sewing machine set up available to use in our ‘Warm Space’ at the Town Hall if anybody is willing to help us out. Tea and biscuits to be provided!